Monday, February 12, 2024

Why Am I Here?

About Me

Hi, my name is Kacie Matheson, Im from Durham, North Carolina, and I am a junior here at High Point University. I've
had a rocky start with declaring a major, I have changed my major three times since I've been here. The first major I chose was Biology because I really wanted to be extraordinary and push myself to see if I could become a forensic pathologist. Unfortunately, that didn't work out; I experienced too many mental breakdowns with that major, so I decided to change it. The next major I chose was Criminal Justice. I decided on this because my grandfather was an ABC moonshine investigator, and he used to bust people in North Carolina for making homemade moonshine. Hearing all the stories from his experiences working in that field was just awesome to listen to. I wanted to be a forensic investigator when I was a Criminal Justice major, but I eventually became disenchanted with it; my mind wasn't being challenged enough. So, I changed my major once again. The last major, and the one I am sticking with, is Journalism. I chose journalism because, as a kid, I loved to read—really loved it. I would read approximately four books a month, and after each book, I would write reviews in my journal. I also kept a diary, writing in it every day. Writing is something I genuinely enjoy, and I love learning new things.

What do I want to do with Journalism?

I am not 100% sure what I would like to do with journalism yet but as of right now, I would like to write for a sports newspaper or magazine. Sports have always been in my life, and I would enjoy being surrounded by things I enjoy watching.  I really would like to work with the Dallas Cowboys (NFL) or Duke Basketball it would be my dream to work for a team I love and enjoy keeping up with. I want to work with either basketball or football because I grew up watching these sports every week with my family and have the knowledge to write about football and basketball. I could talk about sports all day long so I don't see how I would be bored with writing for a sports team because it's constantly new and sports are not predictable so it keeps things interesting which is what I like. I can't have a job where I am doing the same thing every day for the rest of my life I need something new and fun to come to every day and writing is perfect for me.

Dallas Cowboys Royalty-Free Images, Stock Photos & Pictures | ShutterstockDuke Blue Devils men's basketball - Wikipedia


Why this class?

I chose this class not only because it was for my major requirements but I honestly enjoy learning content that I forgot about or didn't know at all which makes my brain work and keeps me so intrigued. I also love the professor he is a great teacher and explains things to the point where I actually understand what is going on. This class will help me with journalism skills and also the history behind journalism that I never knew about. Every time I go to class we are always learning something new and interesting so you never know what to expect to learn every week. I also learn about current news and politics in this class that I never even knew and it blows my mind what the world is going through. Overall this class is beyond interesting and I would recommend people to take it because of how educational and interesting this course is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shock and Awe reaction

 Shock and Awe Reaction   In class we watched the film " Shock and Awe ", which provided a crazy inside look at the Iraq War lead ...